Digital X-rays Result in a Faster Diagnosis and Treatment
Digital x-rays are a diagnostic tool used to aid us in determining oral health of the hard tissue inside of your mouth. A dentistry x-ray is a type of hi-tech dental care that is an extremely useful tool. Digital x-rays allow your Hi Tech Dental Care cosmetic dentist a more detailed visual exam of your mouth, teeth and gums. This can help diagnose potential problems, oral health issues and is important in maintaining good oral health.
Types of Digital X-Rays
There are two primary types of dental x-rays that your dentist in Las Vegas may use; intraoral and extraoral. The x-ray film is used on the inside of your mouth for intraoral x-rays and on the outside of the mouth for an extraoral x-ray. Both are used to take an image of the appearance of teeth and gums, but an intraoral x-ray is able to take a more detailed image.
Intraoral x-rays are the most common type of x-rays used by dentists. There are a number of different types of intraoral x-rays. Each type shows a different aspect and appearance of the teeth.
- Bitewing x-ray helps your cosmetic dentist see both upper and lower details in one area of the mouth. Each bite-wing x-ray provides an image of the tooth from the crown to the supporting bone. This type of x-ray can detect changes in the thickness of bone that may be caused by gum disease as well as tooth decay.
- Periapical x-ray provides an image of the whole tooth; from its crown to below the root where the tooth is attached into the jaw. A periapical x-ray shows each tooth in one section of either the lower or upper jaw. This type of x-ray is often used to detect unusual changes in the root and/or surrounding bone structure.
- Occlusal x-ray is used by a cosmetic dentist to track the placement and development of an entire denture in either the lower or upper jaw.
Extraoral images are typically used to detect problems you may have in the jaw and/or skull. The most common type of extraoral x-rays used include:
- Panoramic x-ray, which shows the entire mouth area and is often used to detect an impacted tooth, an emerging tooth and/or diagnose tumors.
- Tomograms are used to collect an image of a particular layer of the mouth, while blurring out other areas.
- Dentistry CT is a type of digital imaging that is used to take a 3D image and find problems in the facial bones, such as fractures, cysts and tumors.
- Cephalometric projection images show the appearance of entire side of the head. It is used to look at teeth in relation to the jaw. This type of x-ray is often used when realignment is necessary.
There are many benefits for our patients having digital x-rays taken at Hi Tech Dental Care in Las Vegas. The use of Hi Tech Dental Care and the ability to produce digital images allows for a faster diagnosis and treatment of tooth, gum and mouth problems.
To learn more about how our Hi Tech Dental Care and digital x-rays can help to improve your smile and oral health, please contact Dr. Kayla Mai to schedule an appointment.